Friday, April 30, 2010

POLAR BEARS



Polar bears can live up to 14 years. About 500 bears are killed each year by humans across Canada. They can smell a seal up to a mile away. It can bury himself 3 feet deep. Fat polar bears rarely attack humans. Hungry polar bears are extremely unpredictable and are known to kill and sometimes eat humans. Dating and mating take place on the sea ice in April and May, when polar bears hang out together in the best seal hunting areas.

To avoid being eaten or injured by a polar bear, try to stick in big groups and make lots of noise. Avoid polar bear dens, tracks, dropping, and dead seals. Try not to be smelly and stay upwind. BE ALERT!

If you are attacked, pretend to be dead and curl up into a ball to protect your head and neck!





5 comments:

Jo Ann said...

I love your blog posts on these large and scary beasts. I hope I never run into any of them but if I do at least I know how to stay safe. This information could save someones life.

Jo Ann

Marlene Portalatin said...

Another safety lesson, I love it. They are very frightening, I would probably faint if one came charging at me. So maybe he will not attack me???

Homeschooled Kid said...

I know why fat Polar Bears don't attack because it is tired from hunting seals.But what if a Polar bear walks right up to you what do you do???


With lots of Polar Bear hugs,
Chloe

Sky said...

That picture of a polar bear is stuffed, right? Boy, I am glad
that I don't live in the Artic with all the hungry bears!
I love your blog!

Unknown said...

The polar bear pictures are from the American Museum of Natural History -- stuffed.